Tuesday, February 1, 2011

12/09/10 Langhorne Slim at Mojo's

Once again Langhorne Slim rolled into Columbia, and threw it down!! The singer-songwriter of the group Sean Scolnick, was in constant motion on stage at time coming into the crowd in the middle of the song with his acoustic guitar. The only problem being that he didn't have a wireless guitar, so his cord got wrapped around mic stands a couple of times, including my mics that I had on stage. That was fun having to plow through the crowd to untangle my mics and set them back up with their guitar tech in the middle of the show. Sean kept the large and appreciative crowd engaged throughout the night with engaging between song banter, sing-a-long moments, intimate slow and frantic danceable songs.

The set was a good mix of classic Langhorne anthems and a few new songs mixed in for good measure. They opened the show with Cinderella, a frantic song with a driving beat. Not the bold statement song that Cut It Down made the last time they played Columbia, but it got the crowd dancing from the first note. The dancing continued with rebel side of heaven. A pleading Colette (partially inspired by a Mojo's bartender) quieted the night down, and gave the dancers respite. The night progressed to a two new songs that were one of the highlights of the night for me. I ain't dead anymore is one of the strongest songs Sean has written in my opinion with the line "when they said I was dead, it wasn't true I was just dead to you, I ain't dead, I ain't dead anymore". What a great breakup screw you line!! Pairing this song with the pleading It's time to love your man, genius. They of course played worries, which you should recognize from the insurance commercial and is a favorite of my kids, to slow the set down and lead into a solo acoustic Take My Hand. Take My Hand ended with Sean moving away from the Mic and singing to the crowd without the assistance of amplification, forcing you to listen to each aching word that flowed from his lips. A great way to make an already attentive crowd to hang on your every word. Take My Hand lead into For A Little While, that started out slow and acoustic and exploded when the full band kicked in. This really punctuated the relationship turmoil that the line "I said I'll be good, girl I'm beggin you, just believe me, for a little while!!" implies. How do you follow this tour de force? By playing a barn stomping Mary and Cut It Down that left the crowd breathless, at least the ones by the stage, and begging for more. During Mary Sean actually hopped off the stage and lifted the stairs that lead to the stage up on the stage. Now it could be that he wanted to get a little taller for the next few songs, or he was having flash backs to the last time he played Columbia and the ladies in the audience invaded the stage during I Love to Dance. Eiher way, it was something I had never seen happen before at a show. They then rolled through Diamonds and Gold and She's gone to finish the main set for the night. The encore started with another solo acoustic number Don't Be Scared flowing into I Love You But Goodbye where he once again sang to the audience without the mic. The night ended with the full band playing I Love to Dance. An amazing show, and if I do say so myself, a great recoding.

Here is the set list and show info for the recording that I have posted on my site.

Langhorne Slim
12/09/10
Mojo's
Columbia, MO
Multichannel+stage mics
1) Cinderalla
2) Rebel Side Of Heaven
3) Colette
4) In The Midnight
5) Be Set Free
6) Honey Pie
7) I ain't Dead Anymore
8) It's Time To Love Your Man (False Start)
9) It's Time To Love Your Man
10) Hello Sunshine
11) Worries
12) Take My Hand
13) For A Little While
14) Mary
15) Cut It Down
16) Diamonds and Gold
17) She's Gone
18) Don't Be Scared
19) I Love You But Goodbye
20) I Love To Dance

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Would you happen to know if "it's time to love your man" ever been released as a single? Or is there a new album on the horizon which contains it?