Tuesday, October 5, 2010

09/23/10 Robbie Fulks & Jenny Scheinman Mojo's

This was another great Robbie show at Mojo's. I didn't know what to expect from this show since he was bringing Jenny Scheinman along instead of a band, so I wasn't sure how the set list would go. However, since half the fun of seeing Robbie live is the banter, I wasn't too worried about the songs they were going to play. It turns out I had nothing to worry about because Jenny's songs fit in nicely with Robbie's songs.

For those who don't know, Jenny Scheinman played violin and Robbie played acoustic guitar. During sound check Robbie played banjo, but sadly, it didn't make an appearance during the set. They played 20 songs, but only 18 of those were from the normal catalogue of Robbie and Jenny shows. The musical highlights of the night for me were Cocktails, The Hangman's Reel, and I'll Trade You Money For Wine. I also really enjoyed Moses with Robbie providing a stomping beat to drive the song along.

The Robbie moment of the show had to be the proposal that happened during Little Darling. It turns out that if you need a little help popping the question to your lady, Robbie is your man. Of course his way of helping is by writing you a soliloquy that you read on stage while he plays the song of your choice. It's Romantic Gold, and hilarious! I always learn something at a Robbie show and this show was no exception. Turns out Robbie's kid isn't going to get an Ipad, and Jenny really like New Castle Brown Ale.

If you like Robbie I am sure you will love this show. I imagine this is the kind of show he been putting on at the Hideout or the Old Town School of Chicago. I have heard about these shows and it is nice to get a chance to experience the show in person. If you listen the to show and realize it is nothing like the shows at the Hideout or the Old Town School of Chicago, don't tell me. I like to keep my illusions alive.

Here is the set list and show details:
Robbie and Jenny Scheinman
09/23/10 Mojo's
Columbia, MO
Multi SBD+AUD matrix
1) Bill Cheatham
2) Goodbye Virginia
3) Houston
4) Shanty In The Holler
5) Newspaper Angels
6) Run Run Run
7) Cocktails
8) Waitin On The New Things To Go
9) The Broken Spoke Waltz (Alvin Crow)
10) Brother
11) Little Darling-Proposal (The Diamonds)
12) The Honeymoon Song
13) Hangman's Reel
14) My Old Man
15) Satisfied
16) I'll Trade You Money For Wine
17) Moses
18) The Palms Of Maracaibo (Lionel Belasco)
19) Busy Not Crying
20) Let's Kill Saturday Night

No comments: