Thursday, September 2, 2010

08/26/10 Richard The Lionhearted Forrest Rose Park

Richard The Lionhearted was the second opener for Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin at Forrest Rose Park. I had never even heard of the band, much less the music, so I didn't know what to expect. They hit the stage with two guitars, bass, key boards, drums, and an extra percussionist that played things like a washboard and another tom from what I could see. All and all they played a solid set and were tight as a band, which does not always happen with the "local" opening bands. At the time of the show the most interesting part of their show were the vocals. While they did appear to have a lead singer, he almost always had at least one person in the band harmonizing with him, which resulted in a rather interesting sonic vibe. When the songs had a faster tempo the harmony gave the song more of a campfire sing along feel, which is very noticeable in the songs My, My, My, You've Heard That One Before, and O' California. The slower tempo songs actually had a very monkish feel to my ears most notable on songs like Ain't Been Straight, Son House, and Adieu. I am not sure if the change in vocal style varied depending on who was singing lead, I was back by the soundboard and it was hard to see who was leading the vocals on each song, or if the lead singer just changes his style more than most based on the tempo of the song. Even after mixing I still don't know, but I do like the variety; and I like the fact that the harmony builds up the lyrics, but doesn't make them sweet.

I left the show not sure what to think of the band. The music sounded solid, but there weren't any hooks, nothing that would grab me if I heard it on the radio. There wasn't an anthem or catchy pop rif in the mix that slapped me in the face and made me take notice. However, I left the show wondering if I saw something worth more than a good hook that gets old way too fast.

While mixing the show down I get a chance to listen to a show more and really start to digest the contents of the songs. Some shows I have loved on the night turn out to be shows that don't hold up to the light day during processing. Every so often there is a show that I am not sure about that night, but I grow to love during the mixing process where I get a chance to appreciate what the band is trying to achieve. The last time that really happened to me was Quien es, Boom! a number of years ago when they opened up for Cary Hudson. This show has creeped up on me just like Quien es, Boom!.

So now I have to try and describe the sound of Richard the Lionhearted. They say they are Rock/Folk/Country, and I definitely hear all of these components in the music. I would say they have a good Rock Country sound on some tracks that hearkens to say a CCR, but the majority of the music has a moody and textured darkness that is more 120 minutes and less Country Brunch. As I said, there are not real hooks, no chorus you are singing an hour after you listen to the music. What you do get are well crafted songs full of dark harmonies and bit of country flair that is well worth sitting down and digesting.

Here is the set list for the show:
Richard The Lionhearted
8/26/10 Forrest Rose Park
Columbia, MO
1) Ain't Been Straight
2) Anatomy Lesson
3) My, My, My
4) Son House
5) Whale Bones
6) You've Heard That One Before
7) O' California
8) Adieu
9) Ghost

No comments: