Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10/15/2008 Old97's and The Spring Standards

The Old97's took 7 years to come back to Columbia, and it was worth the wait. Now I will be the first to admit that I have not warmed up to much of the last two albums, however the first 4 albums the 97's put out contain some of the best music recorded in the last 15 or so years. Now I first saw the Old97's play in Columbia at the Down Under Bar back in the mid 90's. The down under bar no longer exists, and they have played the Blue Note and Mojo's many times since then. Now the band has changed a lot since the days of the Down Under Bar (marriage, kids, age, solo careers, Lasik, etc.), but Rhett still shakes his hips for most of the show and does that hand circle thing when he strums the acoustic guitar fast, and Murry is up to three songs in the set list now. If you remember the 97's of old the show is not much different, just a little less twang and a little more pop. I got a really good recording of the show and have posted it on my site. Here is the set list for the 97's

Set List:
The Fool
Lonely Holiday
Melt Show
No Baby I
Crash On The Barrelhead (Murry)
Designs on You
I Will Remain
The New Kid
Doreen
Color Of A Lonely Heart Is Blue (Murry)
Question
Niteclub
Indefinitely
Victoria
Smokers (Murry)
My Two Feet
Early Morning
Barrier Reef
Rollerskate Skinny
The Easy Way
Encore:
Stoned
Won't Be Home
Dance With Me
Timebomb


The Spring Standards was the opening band, and I have to say the surprised me! They play some fun acoustic/folk/country/pop music. It was a nice way to open the night of music. This was yet another interesting percussion band the three piece members of the band (two guys and a gal), play guitar, bass and keyboards as well as different parts of the drum kit. One guy would play a cymbals bell set up, another guy plays the kick drum, and the girl plays the snare and high hat. They played a great set of music, and it turns out that Rhett Miller produced their latest EP, which must be how they got the opening spot for the Old97's for this stretch of the tour. I missed most of the set on my recording due to a technical issue with the software. Turns out a "button" I never press got pressed while I was using the mouse pad on the old laptop causing the software to go into loop mode. I didn't notice until 2/3's of the way through the set. Therefore, I only have a partial show and partial set list for this band. Here is what I have:

  1. Reply (most of beginning cut)
  2. Premonition
  3. Trouble
  4. Your Lie
  5. Little Bug

I have now posted the shows for download on my site Lovin Live Music. Enjoy

No comments: