Saturday, June 14, 2008

06/12/2006 Loco Macheen & The DeWayn Brothers

This was a Kansas 2 for 1 show featuring Loco Macheen & The DeWayn Brothers. The great part, they are the same band, mostly. These guys obviously fit into the world of the Jam band, but had a dilemma when they wanted to start a band. What kind of Jam Band do they want to be? On the one side it is a lot of fun to plug in and go electric, but damn that Bluegrass sure is fun with all the murder and the heart ache. It was like Sophie's choice, and when you don't have to make a choice, why do it? (Being from Missouri it would be easy to make a joke about Kansans at this point, but I will digress)
Anyway, I had no idea what to expect when I went to the show. I had never heard of this group of people, but was intrigued by the description on the Mojo's website and was jonesin' for some Bluegrass. I didn't come to the show with high expectations, but I left blown away. Not by the music (though it was well played, well writen, and the show was fun), but by one of the singers. They have one of the best female leads I have had the fortune to stumble upon. Jamie Lee is a fireball with a voice that is powerful and sweet on the ears. She doesn't have what I call a pretty voice, rather it she has a soulful voice that drips emotion. These bands would be worth catching just to listen to her sing, but when you add to the mix that the songs are well writen and the musicianship is solid, you have a great night now matter who they hit the stage as that night.
Now I am not a huge fan of the Jam band scene, so I enjoyed the music of The DeWayne Brothers over Loco Macheen. However, I loved the covers of Loco Macheen, and the Loco Macheen show produced one philosophical question. Can a band cover itself? That's right, Loco Macheen played a song writen as DeWayne Brother's song. So, is this considered a cover, a new arangement, or just a song? I will leave that up to the set list philosophy majors out there to ponder.
At this time I think they are doing more DeWayne Brothers show than Loco Macheen show, at least when they come to Columbia, because they have only returned as the DeWayne Brothers. They always come to town when I can't make the show, so I am hoping that they start asking ME when a good time to come to town will be the next time they make the trip east. I have both shows posted on my site Lovin Live Music so go on over and check them out. Here are the details for both sets.

The DeWayn Brothers
SBD + Aud Matrix
Set List
1) Intro
2) Bacon & Eggs
3) She Lies
4) The Ship
5) Ruthy Lynn
6) Come Over
7) Another Night (Alison Krauss)
8) Right Hand
9) Cousin James
10) Sam & Sal
11) Bastard Son
12) Just To Die
13) Black Eyes
14) Moonshine
15) Pigeon Stew
16) Last Danced
17) Crackhouse
18) Murder One

Loco Macheen
SBD + Aud Matrix
Set List:
1) Give It Up Or Let Me Go (Bonnie Raitt)
2) Want You Gone (DeWayn Brothers)
3) Hell (Squirel Nut Zippers)
4) Brown Water
5) Death Is No Dream
6) GTT
7) Alter Ego
8) Dogtown Grass
9) Finding Treasure
10) Try (Janis Joplin)
11) When At Home & Instrumental
12) Weaszack Crotchbottle
13) Bus Bust
14) Mahatma
15) Right Wing Pigeons (Dead Milmen) >All Day Long
16) Army Of The Ocean
17) Car Wash (Rose Royce)

No comments: